The Pima Community College men's basketball team (26-6) set the tone early and left no doubt on Friday in the NJCAA Region I, Division II championship game.
- The No. 1 seeded Aztecs defeated No. 2 Scottsdale Community College 107-73 to earn their third straight NJCAA Region I, Division II title.
- The Aztecs started the game going 7 for 7 from the floor and took a double digit lead at 27-8 forcing the Artichokes (20-12) to call timeout with 13:24 left in the half.
- The Aztecs took a 60-36 lead at the break as they went 23 for 33 (70 percent) in field goals. They were 8 for 14 from three-point range.
- All five starters scored in double figures. Sophomores Kennedy Koehler and Robert Wilson (Salpointe Catholic HS) posted double-doubles. Koehler produced his 19th double-double as he finished with 22 points and 13 rebounds. Wilson had his 15th double-double of 21 points and 10 rebounds.
- Freshman Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) scored 17 points while fellow freshman Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) went 5 for 7 from the field and finished with 16 points and four assists. Sophomore Abram Carrasco (Cholla HS) had 14 points and seven assists.
- Carrasco and Wilson were selected Co-MVPs of the game.
- The Aztecs finished with a 19-2 record at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium this season.
The Aztecs advance to the NJCAA Division II Tournament from Mar. 19-23 at the Mary Miller Center in Danville, IL.
SCC 36 37 73
PCC 60 47 107