The Pima Community College men's basketball team (5-4, 3-2 in ACCAC) earned a gutsy win on Monday to hand Arizona Western College (10-3, 4-1) its first conference loss of the season.
- The Aztecs rallied to knock off the Matadors 87-79. The Aztecs trailed 76-73 but went on a 10-0 run in two minutes to take an 83-76 lead with 46.3 seconds left. The Aztecs held the Matadors to just three points the rest of the game.
- Freshman Sammy Legleu (Nogales HS) scored five of Pima's points during the run. He tied the game with a three-pointer which was followed by sophomore Nick Rosquist's (The Gregory School) three-ball making it 79-76 forcing the Matadors to call timeout. Legleu scored a basket in the paint and sophomore Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) knocked down two free throws forcing Arizona Western to use another timeout.
- Freshman Jake Lieppert (Saguaro HS) and Smith knocked down free throws down the stretch to seal it.
- The Aztecs took the biggest lead of the game at 33-20 with 6:35 left in the first half. The Matadors outscored Pima 21-8 the rest of the half and the score was knotted at 41-41 at the break.
- Smith led all scorers with 23 points as he went 6 for 9 from the field; 4 for 4 from three-point range and 7 for 7 from the free throw stripe. He also had a double-double with 12 rebounds to go along with five assists and three blocks.
- Lieppert finished with 21 points, six rebounds and four assists. He went 9 for 10 from the foul line. Sophomore Kaylon Tippins (Cholla HS) also had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. He went 6 for 9 from the field and fouled out of the game with 7:07 left.
- Sophomore Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) scored 12 points and fouled out with 8:28 left.
- Rosquist and Legleu provided a combined 12 points off the bench for the Aztecs. Rosquist had seven and Legleu scored five points with five rebounds.
The Aztecs will return to the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Wednesday to host Tohono O'odham Community College. Tipoff is set for 7:30 p.m.
AWC 41 38 79
PCC 41 46 87