The Pima Community College men's basketball team (10-4) escaped with a victory in the final day of the Aztec Winter Classic on Monday.
- The Aztecs defeated Colorado Northwestern Community College 97-94 to finish 3-0 for the invitational.
- After sophomore Cole Gerken (Ironwood Ridge HS) went 1 for 2 from the line, the Aztecs called timeout with 10.7 seconds left. The Pima defense forced a contested three-pointer in the corner that missed the rim as time expired.
- The Aztecs trailed the Spartans 88-86 with 2:38 left. The Aztecs took advantage of the Spartans' miscues as they put together a 7-0 run to retake the lead. Coming out of the timeout, freshman Jake Lieppert (Saguaro HS) hit a three-pointer to make it 89-88. Sophomore Kaylon Tippins (Cholla HS) went 1 for 2 from the foul line and Lieppert drained another three-ball to make it 93-88 with under a minute remaining.
- Sophomore Rashad Smith led the way with a team-high 25 points on 9 for 12 shooting to go along with eight assists and six rebounds. Lieppert finished with 21 points and four steals.
- Sophomore Nick Rosquist (The Gregory School) drained six 3-pointers and finished with 18 points off the bench.
- Gerken also finished in double figures with 10 points, five assists and two steals. Tippins fell short of a double-double with nine points and 12 rebounds.
The Aztecs get back to ACCAC conference play on Saturday at Mesa Community College. Tipoff is set for 4:00 p.m.
CNCC 43 51 94
PCC 49 48 97