Posted: May 01, 2022
The Pima Community College men's golf team claimed the NJCAA Region I, Division I Championship on Sunday at the Corte Bella Golf Course in Sun City West, AZ.
- The Aztecs took first place with a team score of 1152 (285-291-279-297) while Estrella Mountain Community College placed second with 1203 (299-303-295-306). It was Pima's sixth NJCAA Region I, Division I Team Championship in the last 12 years,
- Freshman Jay Shero sunk his third approach on a chip-shot in the tie-breaking playoff to edge out teammate Daniel Henely (Cienega HS) for the Region I, Division I Individual crown. Shero closed out the final round with a 1-under par 70 and posted a four-day total of 286 (73-72-71-70). Henely also finished with a four-day total of 286 (73-72-67-74).
- "It was fun, me and Daniel are good friends and going into that playoff we were talking about it; just to go out there and have fun," Shero said. "He put the pressure on (with his second shot) out of the bunker. He hit it real close and I headed over the green. I got lucky with a chip shot from back behind.
"My goal this week was to just play consistent golf. I knew I didn't have to do anything crazy. I just wanted to keep it around par all week and hopefully improve every day; which I did. I was just learning from my mistakes every day and just trying to eliminate those mistakes every time. That definitely helped just improving shot-by-shot every hole."
- Shero is the first Pima player to claim the individual championship since David Rauer in 2016.
- The Aztecs took five of the seven spots for All-Region Team honors. Along with Shero and Henely, freshman Max Krueger took third place with a 287 (69-74-71-73) while freshman Tommy Rosenvall closed out the tournament in sixth place with a score of 300 (74-73-70-83). Freshman AJ Quihuis (Salpointe Catholic HS) placed seventh with an overall score of 304 (70-78-76-80).
- "It's been a long time coming. This is delayed gratification at its finest. Our athletes work harder than heck and they deserve this," Pima men's golf coach Marcus Smith said. "It's what any coach dreams of, you dream of sending your two top kids as the Region I winners and we got the chance to do that and it's a great thing for the program."
- The Aztecs will now head to the NJCAA Division I National Championships being held on May 10-13 at the Odessa Country Club in Odessa, TX.
- "It's great for our team. We got a lot of momentum going to the National Championships," Shero said. "I think we're going to be pretty dangerous when that time comes."