The Pima Community College men's tennis team closed out play in the NJCAA Region I Championships on Wednesday at the Paseo Racquet Center in Glendale.
- For the fourth straight year, the Aztecs took home the runner-up plaque as they finished with a total of 11 points. Mesa Community College took first place with 16 points. All the championship matches were between Pima and Mesa Community College.
- Freshman Mitchell Wilkinson (Catalina Foothills HS) won a thriller at No. 4 singles as he beat Emilio Alvarado in three sets 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 to win the NJCAA Region I title.
- The No. 3 doubles team of sophomore Landon Strickland and freshman Emanuel Robles-Serrano (Desert View HS) capture their crown via walkover win.
- Robles-Serrano played a tough match at No. 6 singles and forced a tie-breaking third set but fell to Hung Pham 6-3, 4-6, 6-3. Strickland dropped his No. 5 singles match to Duncan Mulega 6-2, 6-1.
- Wilkinson and No. 2 doubles partner Anton Nazaroff (Catalina Foothills HS) lost in their finals match to Leandro Prado and Max Beasley 6-1, 6-3. Nazaroff almost forced a third set in his No. 2 singles match but fell to Prado 6-1, 6-4.
- The No. 1 doubles duo of sophomore Corey Pabst and freshman Mason Lee (Catalina Foothills HS) dropped their No. 1 singles championship match 6-1, 6-1 to Beto Carlon and Cameron Khan. Pabst lost at No. 1 singles to Carlon 6-1, 6-1 and Lee could not overcome Khan at No. 3 singles as he lost 6-2, 6-1.
The Aztecs qualified for the NJCAA Division I National Championships on May 17-21 at Collin College in Plano, TX.