The Pima Community College women's soccer team took an early lead but dropped a heartbreaker in double overtime on Wednesday in the final day of pool play at the NJCAA Division II National Tournament.
- The No. 5 seeded Aztecs fell to Northwest Mississippi Community College 2-1 in double overtime.
- Melinda Hernandez scored the golden goal for the Rangers in the 107th minute. It was her second goal of the game as she tied it up at 1-1 in the 49th minute.
- The Aztecs got on scoreboard first when sophomore Caitlyn Maher (Catalina Foothills HS) volleyed the ball into the net to put Pima ahead 1-0 in the 10th minute. The Aztecs finished with four shots on goal as a pair of them hit the cross bar and one in overtime that just sailed over the bar.
- Sophomore Angelina Amparano (Salpointe Catholic HS) finished the game with two saves. She finished with 76 saves on the season.
- Coach's quote: "I'm proud of how hard my girls played especially when we were a person down," Pima women's soccer coach Kendra Veliz said referring to sophomore Delaney Buntin's (Cienega HS) red card in the 82nd minute. "We created opportunities against a good team but just couldn't put it away. It's a disappointing way for a great group of players to go out."
The Aztecs close out the 2022 season at 14-3-1 overall and 9-2 in ACCAC conference play. It was the least amount of losses in conference play since 2015. They went 6-1 at the West Campus Aztec Field and 6-1-1 on the road. Pima scored 47 goals and earned 12 shutout victories.