The Pima Community College volleyball team (4-4, 1-0 in ACCAC) started ACCAC conference play on Wednesday as it hosted Phoenix College (0-2, 0-1) at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs beat the Bears in straight sets 25-17, 25-17, 25-17.
- The Aztecs gained control in the first set breaking a 7-7 tie by scoring five straight points taking a 12-7 lead and forcing the Bears to call timeout. The Aztecs matched their biggest lead of the set at 23-15 with sophomore Andrea Vigil-German's (Ironwood Ridge HS) kill. She also had the final kill of the set to give the Aztecs a 1-0 advantage in the match.
- The Aztecs trailed early on in the second set. Down 8-5, they scored four straight points to take the lead at 9-8. Sophomore Jessica Bright-Schade (Safford HS) had three kills during that stretch and sophomore Kaylee Moseley (Marana HS) had an ace. Tied at 9-9, Bright-Schade had a kill on the next point and the Aztecs would never surrender the lead again. Freshman Lina Kassimatis put down the final kill to put the Aztecs up 2-0.
- Pima took an early lead in the third set. Up 14-8, the Aztecs surrendered two points which closed the gap to 14-10 but Pima scored the next three points to widen the lead at 17-10. The Aztecs led by as much as nine points at 22-13 with sophomore Haley Duncan's (Walden Grove HS) block and again at 24-15 after freshman Kailani Paredes' (Buena HS) ace. The match ended after sophomore Isabel Hansen's (Rincon HS) kill.
- Bright-Schade led the way for the Aztecs with a double-double of 12 kills and 11 digs. Vigil-German finished the match with eight kills, six digs and one ace. Sophomore Karla Soto (Nogales HS) had 16 assists and seven digs. Sophomore Aydalis Felix (Rincon HS) closed it out with 12 digs and an ace.
The Aztecs face a tough test on Friday when they play at No. 6 ranked Scottsdale Community College. First serve is at 7:00 p.m.