The Pima Community College men's and women's cross country teams competed at the NJCAA Region I Championships on Friday at Silverlake Park.
- The Aztecs men's team took fourth place with a team score of 97 points. Central Arizona College finished first with 22 points. Mesa Community College was second (52) and Paradise Valley Community College placed third (68). The Aztecs finished ahead of Glendale Community College (104).
- Sophomores Juan Miranda (Flowing Wells HS) and Aaron Espinoza (Sunnyside HS) earned third team All-Region honors. Miranda finished 11th in the 8K (5-mile) race with a time of 27 minutes, 05.6 seconds. Espinoza crossed the finish line in 12th place with a time 27:09.2.
- Freshman Alex Corrales (Nogales HS) placed 21st with a time of 27:49.9 while fellow freshman Zach Zobak took 26th at 29:07.3. Freshman Brandon Moreno (Rio Rico HS) finished the race in 29th at 30:06.4. Miranda and Espinoza qualified for the NJCAA Division I National Championship race.
- The Aztecs women's team took fifth place in the final team standings with 124 points. Central Arizona College was first with 24 points. Mesa placed second with 50 while Paradise Valley took third with 62 and Glendale was fourth with 120 points.
- Freshman Janae Quihuis (Nogales HS) was the top Pima finisher in the 5K (3.1-mile) race as she took 21st place with a time of 21:20.0. Sophomore Iriana Sanchez (Cienega HS) finished 22nd with a time of 21:23.1 while fellow sophomore Rainbow Hoss (Mountain View HS) placed 23rd at 21:35.2.
- Freshman Carolina Vega-Picos (Desert View HS) crossed the finish line in 31st place at 24:19.7 and freshman Alysa Canez (Canyon del Oro HS) was 34th at 26:50.9.
The Aztecs will send representatives to the NJCAA Division I National Championships on Nov. 9 at the UNM North Golf Course in Albuquerque, NM.