Dillan Baker scores 23 points but Men's Basketball suffers first loss at Chandler-Gilbert CC
The Pima Community College men's basketball team (8-1, 3-1 in ACCAC) suffered its first setback of the season on Wednesday at Chandler-Gilbert Community College (9-1, 4-1).
- The No. 14 ranked Aztecs fell to the Coyotes 79-69. It also marked the first time this season the Aztecs didn't score in triple digits.
- The Coyotes got off to a fast start scoring the first seven points of the game and took their biggest lead at 20-9. The Aztecs chipped away and took their first lead after sophomore Dillan Baker (Salpointe Catholic HS) scored seven straight points to give Pima a 25-24 lead.
- Down 31-29, the Aztecs went on another 7-0 run to take their biggest lead of the half (and the game) at 36-31. The game was knotted at 37-37 at halftime.
- The Coyotes held a slight edge for a majority of the second half as the Aztecs tied the score on four occasions but couldn't overtake the lead. Pima trailed 64-62 with under six minutes to play but the Coyotes went on an 11-1 run in three minutes to make it 75-63.
- Sophomore Jaylen Alexander scored two straight baskets to cut it to single digits at 77-69 with 1:20 left but that's as close as they would get.
- Baker finished with a team-high 23 points as he went 8 for 12 from field and 3 for 6 from three-point range.
- Alexander had 15 points, six rebounds, two steals and two blocks while freshman Cohenj Gonzales (Mesquite HS) added 12 points to go with two rebounds and three assists.
The Aztecs will return to the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Saturday when they play South Mountain community College at 4:00 p.m.
PCC 37 32 69
CGCC 37 42 79