The Pima Community College volleyball team (14-11, 9-6 in ACCAC) closed out the regular season on Friday against Chandler-Gilbert Community College (17-3, 12-3).
- The Aztecs fell in four sets to the No. 14 ranked Coyotes 25-21, 25-21, 20-25, 25-18.
- In the first set, the Coyotes broke a 9-9 tie with four straight points to lead 13-9. The Aztecs were able to cut the deficit but could not get closer than two points.
- The Aztecs trailed for much of the second set but managed to tie the score at 19-19. The Coyotes rallied off five straight points to help them take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Aztecs bounced back in the third set. Sophomore Deanna Almaguer had four kills down the stretch. She put the Aztecs up 18-17 with her spike and provided two straight to make it 21-19 to give the Aztecs the advantage. She put down another kill to make it 23-20. The Aztecs scored seven of the final eight points in the third set to cut the deficit in the match to 2-1.
- The Coyotes led the entire fourth set. Down 17-13, the Aztecs scored two straight points after kills from sophomores Isabella Jacome and Jessica Bright-Schade (Safford HS) to make it 17-15. The Coyotes scored six straight points to put the Aztecs down 23-15.
- Bright-Schade finished with a team-high 15 points and secured a double-double with 10 digs. Almaguer closed out the match with 12 kills and three blocks while sophomore Andrea Vigil-German (Ironwood Ridge HS) finished with eight kills and eight digs.
- Sophomore Aydalis Felix (Rincon HS) posted 21 digs and Jacome had 18 assists, eight digs, three kills and an ace. Sophomore Karla Soto (Nogales HS) had a double-double of 14 assists and 12 digs. Sophomore Kaylee Moseley (Marana HS) was a strong presence at the net with five kills and seven blocks.
The Aztecs will be the No, 4 seed at next week's NJCAA Region I, Division II Tournament. They will start the double elimination tournament against No. 1 seed and host Chandler-Gilbert Community College on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.