The Pima Community College men's basketball team (1-1) opened the Pima College Tip-Off Classic on Thursday against Lee College (Division I).
- The No. 4 ranked Aztecs trailed for most of the game and lost 96-80 to the Runnin' Rebels.
- Lee went on a 19-6 run in the first four and a half minutes and took a 56-36 advantage at halftime.
- Down 65-45, the Aztecs went on a 12-6 run to cut the deficit to 71-57 but they couldn't close the gap to single digits.
- Freshman Jake Lippert (Saguaro HS) scored a team-high 22 points as he went 8 for 15 from the field and 5 for 11 from three-point range. Sophomore Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) added 20 points and six assists. Sophomore Kaylon Tippins (Cholla HS) had a double-double of 16 points and 11 rebounds to go along with two steals and two blocks. He went 7 for 11 from the field.
- The Aztecs struggled from the free throw line as they went 10 for 21 for the game.
The Aztecs will continue play at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Friday as they take on Park University at 6:00 p.m.
LC 56 40 96
PCC 36 44 80