Posted: Jan 26, 2022
The Pima Community College men's basketball team (13-8, 5-7 in ACCAC) got one back in the win column on Wednesday as it returned to the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs defeated Phoenix College 94-87 snapping their 4-game losing streak.
- After a Phoenix College three-pointer cut Pima's lead to 85-81 with under two minutes remaining, the Aztecs countered with a three-ball of their own when freshman Itury Kitt (Eastpointe HS) drained it from the corner. The Bears (10-9, 3-7) hit one of their own to make it a four-point lead for Pima at 88-84. Sophomore Chrishon Dixon hit four straight free throws to keep it a two-possession game and freshman Traivar Jackson's dunk sealed it in the end.
- The Aztecs took a 49-39 lead at the break but the Bears opened the second half on a 20-9 run to take a 59-58 advantage with 14:20 left. The teams exchanged baskets and lead changes for the next six minutes. There were 12 lead changes for the game.
- Down 69-66 with 8:27 remaining, the Aztecs went on a 7-0 run to retake the lead at 73-69 with 6:51 left on the clock and never relinquished the lead again.
- Jackson scored a game-high 33 points after going 14 for 17 from the field. He finished with eight blocks and five steals.
- Kitt went 6 for 9 from the field including 3 for 4 from three-point range and finished with 21 points.
- Freshman Jalen Johnson provided a first half spark with 13 of his 15 points. He went 6 for 10 from the field and added six rebounds.
- Freshman Pierce Sterling was the other Aztecs player in double figures with 12 points on 5 for 7 shooting along with six rebounds and eight assists.
- Dixon fell short of a triple-double as he posted nine points, nine rebounds and 10 assists. Sophomore Daniel Moody (Walden Grove HS) had four points and 10 rebounds.
- The Aztecs will be back at the West Campus Aztec Gym on Saturday hosting Glendale Community College. Game time is set for 4:00 p.m.
PC 39 48 87
PCC 49 45 94