Posted: Jan 29, 2022
The Pima Community College men's basketball team (14-8, 6-7 in ACCAC) put on an offensive display on Wednesday against Glendale Community College (13-9, 6-7) at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs defeated the Gauchos 114-81 as they scored in triple digits for the first time since Dec. 15.
- Up 28-26, the Aztecs went on a 27-8 run that was capped off by sophomore Daniel Moody's (Walden Grove HS) three-pointer to make it 55-34 with 2:47 left in the first half. The Aztecs took a 62-40 lead into the locker room.
- The Aztecs shot 60 percent in the first half (21-35) and went 13 for 17 from beyond the arc.
- The Gauchos cut into Pima's lead early in the second half at 65-48 but the Aztecs quickly took back a 20-point advantage. The Aztecs outscored Glendale 52-41 for the second half.
- The Aztecs had five players finish with double-doubles for the game. Moody scored 20 of his game-high 23 points in the first half and finished the game 8 for 12 from the field and 6 for 7 from three-point range. He also added 10 rebounds.
- Freshman Traivar Jackson posted 17 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks while freshman Jalen Johnson had 14 points and 12 rebounds.
- Freshman Pierce Sterling finished with 14 points and 10 assists. Sophomore Chrishon Dixon contributed with 12 points, 14 assists and six rebounds.
- Freshman Griffin Effenberger provided a spark off the bench as he went 5 for 6 from the field; which included going 4 for 5 from three-point range for 14 points.
- After the game, Head Coach Brian Peabody and Assistant Coaches Mike Morgan and Matt Minder celebrated 30 years of coaching together with a photo opp with their former players from Pima and at the High School level.
- The Aztecs will be back on the court at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Monday when they play Scottsdale Community College. Tipoff is set for 5:30 p.m.
GCC 40 41 81
PCC 62 52 114