Posted: Feb 02, 2022
Free throws prove crucial as Aztecs men's basketball tops Chandler-Gilbert CC
The Pima Community College men's basketball team (16-8, 8-7 in ACCAC) earned another quality win in ACCAC conference play.
- The Aztecs defeated Chandler-Gilbert Community College 85-75 to earn their fourth straight win.
- Up 76-73 with 2:46 remaining, freshman Pierce Sterling converted on a three-point play to give the Aztecs a little breathing room at 79-73. The Coyotes cut it down to a four-point lead for Pima but freshman Traivar Jackson hit a pair of free throws to get it back to a six-point lead at 81-75 with 1:30 left.
- After a Chandler-Gilbert miss, sophomore Daniel Moody (Walden Grove HS) grabbed the defense rebound and was fouled. He drained two free throws to make it 83-75. The Coyotes missed another chance to cut into Pima's lead and Jackson came down with the board. Sophomore Chrishon Dixon hit two more foul shots to seal the win.
- The Aztecs finished the game going 13 for 14 from the free throw stripe.
- The Coyotes scored the first basket of the second half to make it 42-41 but the Aztecs went on a 21-7 run to take their biggest lead of the game at 63-48 with 11:34 left. Chandler-Gilbert cut into the lead with a 16-4 run of their own to make it 67-64 with six minutes left but that's as close as they would get.
- Jackson led all scores with 21 points as he secured his 10th double-double of the season with 12 rebounds. He also had two blocks and two steals.
- Moody finished with 18 points, eight rebounds and three blocks while freshman Jalen Johnson contributed with 15 of his 17 points in the first half. He was 3 for 6 from three-point range and had eight rebounds.
- Dixon posted 11 points, six rebounds and seven assists while freshman Itury Kitt (Eastpointe HS) also added 11 points.
- The Aztecs will play at South Mountain Community College on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
CGCC 39 36 75
PCC 42 43 85