The Pima Community College women's basketball team (7-3, 4-2 in ACCAC) started off the fourth quarter with a huge run but were forced to knock down its free throws in the end to seal the win.
- The No. 11 Aztecs defeated Tohono O'odham Community College 81-74 as Pima earned their fourth win in five games heading into the winter break. The Aztecs had played four games in the last eight days and went 3-1.
- With the score tied at 55-55 entering the fourth quarter, the Aztecs went on a 17-2 run in the first five and a half minutes to take their biggest lead of the game at 72-57 (15 points). The Jegos (5-7, 1-5) produced a rally themselves going on a 17-5 run to cut the Aztecs' lead to 77-74.
- Freshman Aaliyah Ortiz (Palo Verde HS) knocked down a pair of free throws to put it back at a five-point advantage. On the ensuing inbounds, Ortiz snagged the steal and sophomore Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) hit a pair of foul shots to seal it.
- The Aztecs took a 24-13 lead after the first quarter but were outscored 28-14 in the second quarter. The Aztecs trailed 41-38 at the break.
- All four sophomores scored in double figures and were led by Lawson, who went 10 for 16 from the field and finished with 22 points. Fellow sophomore Marlena Arroyo-Plata (Campo Verde HS) contributed with 16 points on 7 for 11 shooting to go along with six rebounds. Haile Gleason hit three 3-pointers and finished with 11 points off the bench. Alyssa Perez (Marana HS) had 10 points and six rebounds.
- "The sophomores were huge tonight," Pima women's basketball coach Todd Holthaus said. "We weren't as sharp as I wanted; but we won."
- Ortiz struggled from the field as she had five points (0-5 shooting) but she had seven rebounds, nine assists and four steals.
The Aztecs will be on winter break and will return for the annual Bruce Fleck Classic from Dec. 30-Jan 1. They'll open the invitational against Arizona Christian University JV on Monday, Dec. 30 at 7:00 p.m.
TOCC 13 28 14 19 74
PCC 24 14 17 26 81