The Pima Community College women's basketball team (13-4, 7-3 in ACCAC) fell behind after a rough second quarter but regrouped and took over the second half.
- The No. 18 ranked Aztecs defeated Phoenix College 73-68 on Wednesday at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium. The Aztecs have won nine of their last 10 games.
- The Aztecs were outscored 23-8 in the second quarter and trailed 38-24 at the break. They chipped away and trailed 49-44 at the end of the third quarter.
- Down 54-46, the Aztecs went on a 12-2 run to take a 58-56 lead forcing the Bears (5-13, 5-5) to call timeout with 5:35 left. Sophomore Alyssa Perez (Marana HS) scored the last five points of the run.
- Up 66-64 with a minute left, freshman Sierra Mich'l scored inside the basket and drew a foul. She completed the three-point play to put Pima ahead 69-64 with 48.8 seconds left. Sophomore Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) drained two free throws to put the Aztecs up 72-65 with under 20 seconds left to help seal it.
- Lawson scored a game-high 19 points to go along with eight rebounds. Perez scored 12 of her 16 points in the second half while sophomore Marlena Arroyo-Plata (Campo Verde HS) finished with a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds.
The Aztecs will hit the road on Saturday when they play at Glendale Community College. Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.
PC 15 23 11 19 68
PCC 16 8 20 29 73