The Pima Community College women's basketball team (15-6, 9-5 in ACCAC) snapped a two-game skid on Wednesday after rallying in the second half to beat Arizona Western College (12-10, 7-7).
- The Aztecs, trailing by 13 points with 5:08 left in the fourth quarter, came back to beat the Matadors 78-71 in overtime. The Aztecs outscored Arizona Western 17-10 in the extra period.
- The Aztecs scored on their first three possessions in overtime while the Matadors turned the ball over on three of their first four possessions. The Aztecs went 9 for 12 from the foul line in the overtime period.
- Down 58-48 with 3:34 left in regulation, the Aztecs went on an 8-0 to cut it to 58-56. After the Matadors hit a free throw to make it 59-56, freshman Fama Thiam (Highland HS) made a basket inside the paint and assisted in sophomore Marlena Arroyo-Plata's (Campo Verde HS) bucket which gave the Aztecs a 60-59 lead with 21.7 seconds left. The Matadors tied the game at 61-61 to force the overtime.
- The Matadors went on an 11-3 run to close out the first quarter and put the Aztecs in a 20-13 hole. The Aztecs scored just nine points in the second quarter and trailed 33-22 at the break. The Aztecs finished the game going 1 for 15 from three-point range.
- Sophomore Alyssa Perez (Marana HS) led the Aztecs with 17 points to go along with six rebounds. Fellow sophomore Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) scored 13 of her 16 points in the second half and overtime as well as finished with a double-double as she grabbed 10 rebounds.
- Freshman Aaliyah Ortiz (Palo Verde HS) went 14 for 18 from the free throw line as she finished with 16 points off the bench. Thiam contributed with nine points, four rebounds and five assists.
- "Sometimes you just have to find a way. We were not at our best, but the ladies stuck together and found a way," Pima women's basketball coach Todd Holthaus said. "I couldn't be prouder of the fight and resolve. Tonight we were AZTEC TOUGH."
The Aztecs are back on the road when they play at Central Arizona College on Saturday in Coolidge. Tipoff is at 2:00 p.m.
PCC 13 9 16 23 17 78
AWC 20 13 11 17 10 71