The Pima Community College women's soccer team (14-2-1) played its first match of the NJCAA Division II National Tournament on Tuesday at the Kino North Stadium.
- The No. 5 seeded Aztecs blanked Northeast Community College (NE) 1-0.
- Sophomore Mari Acosta (Sahuarita HS) found the back of the net with her shot in the 15th minute.
- The Aztecs produced their 12th shutout victory of the season.
- "Going forward, I've kept it consistent through every game. I've tried to not let any goals in and tried to keep the shutout," Pima sophomore goalkeeper Angelina Amparano said. "I think it's worked, only letting seven goals in on the season and I'm going to continue going forward."
"One of our goals this game was to come out early because after watching Northeast yesterday they had a strong start and we knew we needed a strong start," Amparano added. "Getting that lead in the 15th minute really held it down but we could have gotten more. I think that's one of my goals also is to score more. We just got unlucky on a few.
"So far it feels good (to be back at Nationals) especially to be in Tucson having our friends and family here supporting us. It feels amazing."
- Amparano finished the match with five saves.
- Freshman Meredith Scott (Walden Grove HS) loved playing in her first NJCAA Division II National Tournament game in front of a home crowd
- "The stands were so full; the Pima cheers and everything," Scott sadi. "The team really stepped up. Everybody did their job; defense to offense. We played a little jittery the first half but second half we knew what we needed to do and we did it. Only scoring one goal we know in the next game, that this isn't enough and we need to keep going, keep scoring and keep getting better."
The Aztecs are back at it on Wednesday when they play No. 4 seeded Northwest Mississippi Community College at the Kino North Grandstand in the final match of Pool D play.
Pima goal: Mari Acosta 15th minute.